In 2022 Space Center Automotive celebrated 23 years of providing automotive services to Clear Lake and the surrounding area. We are proud of the relationships we have built with our customers and the community. Our goal has always been to provide superior service at reasonable prices and to instill confidence and trust that you are safe when you get behind the wheel of your vehicle. Automotive technology is constantly evolving and we continuously train to stay current and be prepared to assist you with all your auto needs. “Giving Auto Service a Good Name” is more than a motto to us, it is our driving force.
Maintain Your Vehicle While Visiting for the Holidays
The holidays are a time for family, friends and festivities. It’s also a time when your vehicle needs to be in top condition and running smoothly. Those traveling this holiday season include adults and college students getting ready to make an overdue journey home. The autos operated by students may be high-mileage older vehicles which could require an in-depth inspection. Here are a few auto repair services that you should consider during the holiday season:
- Tire replacement or repair. If your tires are getting low on thread, it’s time to replace them. This is especially critical if you’re going to be doing any long-distance driving over the holidays. Worn out tires can lead to blowouts, which can be dangerous.
- Battery replacement. A dead battery is often the main culprit when vehicles unexpectedly break down. If your car’s battery is more than three years old, it might be a wise decision to have it tested and replaced, if necessary.This is especially important during colder environments, as cold weather can shorten the lifespan of the battery.
- An oil change is something that you should do regularly, but it’s especially important before departing on a long road trip.
- Check other fluids that are often forgotten. Failure to do so could result in major repair costs. The below listed fluids should be replaced every 30,000 miles or as recommended by the
- Coolant a/k/a antifreeze
- Transmission Fluid
- Power Steering Fluid
- Brake Fluid
- Differential Fluid
Emergency Car Care Kit
Every vehicle should have an emergency supply kit in the trunk. It’s ideal to check every six months, and expired items should be replaced regularly. Vehicle emergency supply kits should include:
- A properly inflated spare tire, wheel wrench and jack
- Jumper cables
- Tool kit
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Reflective triangle
- Fire extinguisher
Winter Tips for Your Wipers
Good visibility is essential for safe driving especially as approximately 20% of road accidents are caused by poor visibility.
- Make sure your wipers are turned off when you park. Your wipers could tear if they have frozen to the glass, and they automatically start up when you turn the engine on next.
- Cold weather can stiffen and damage your wiper blades, making them more brittle. Instead of potentially damaging your blades, it’s safer to use a de-icer to melt the layer of ice and an ice scraper to clear your windshield.
How Much Antifreeze Do I Need to Winterize My Vehicle?
Generally, a 50/50% mixture of antifreeze and water is recommended. This helps protect your vehicle in temperatures ranging from a low of -34 to a high of 263 degrees. Note: Antifreeze is required as plain water would freeze in your radiator and stop everything from working.
How long has your coolant been in your car? Now is the time to check to determine when your coolant was last flushed and refilled. Talk to one of our ASE Certified Technicians at Space
Center Automotive to make sure your antifreeze level is adequate, and the fluid is clean.
Merry Christmas From All of Us to You
From all of us at Space Center Automotive, we wish you a happy, safe, merry, and joyous Christmas and holiday season.
Our thanks to you for reading our blogs/newsletters, commenting on issues important to you, and being a valued customer. We look forward to delivering what you want and need over the next year and beyond.